Fall Home Heating Safety

Tips for a safe fireplace

•Have your fireplace inspected by a certified chimney sweeper. Many fires are caused by creosote buildup in the chimney or stovepipe.
•Use a metal mesh screen to prevent sparks from popping out of the fireplace.
•Leave glass fireplace doors open while burning a fire. These doors can reach temperatures of 400 degrees in minutes and take 45 minutes to cool.
•Don’t burn trash, cardboard boxes or items that may contain chemicals that can poison your home.

Tips for using an electric space heater

•Keep the heater away from flammable materials such as curtains, bedding and newspapers.
•Place the heater out of the reach of children and pets.
•Leave plenty of space (about 36 inches) around the heater.
•Never leave a space heater unattended while in use.

Tips to stay safe if you’re using A kerosene heater or coal stove

•Make sure the room is properly ventilated. These heaters create carbon monoxide and other toxic fumes that can be fatal in high doses.
•An electric blanket or heating pad – Don’t cover them with other blankets. Keeping them on top allows heat to dissipate into the room. Make sure there are no breaks in the wiring, plugs or connectors.

Most importantly, check all of your home’s smoke and carbon monoxide detectors to ensure they are working properly. If they’re battery operated, change the batteries. There should be one of each type of detector on every floor of your home.

More information can be found on our “Care For Your Heating System” page.

No comments yet.

Leave a Reply